We have many volunteer activities in which young adults can participate in to help the animals and the Humane Society of Fairfax County.
Some suggestions include:
- Building feral cat houses, doghouses, dog platforms, birdhouses, and cat scratching posts. Also, picnic tables or benches are always needed at the farm. If your talent lays in the “building things” category these should be right up your alley.
- Collecting donations for our Pet Food Pantry and items from our wish list. We suggest going around your neighborhood one week to distribute our wish list and give neighbors an HSFC flyer. The next week you would go back to see if they have any donations and at that time give them a donation receipt. All donated items can be brought to our Administrative Offices in Fairfax. (4057 Chain Bridge Rd. Fairfax)
- Collecting donations for our Thrift Store, Second Chance 1. This includes household and clothing items, books, toys or any item that can be resold in our stores. The profits from our stores help support our organization and the animals in our care.
- Participating in a clean-up project. We have several locations for volunteers to help. Our farm in Centreville always needs extra hands to help keep it looking beautiful. Our thrift stores always need a good scrubbing and help to stock the shelves. Our Administrative Office has lots of on going projects that would greatly benefit from a clean-up day. For information on days, times, and locations please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at 703-385-PETS.
- Drawing or painting your own artwork. We would love to have your creative artwork to hang in our offices or in our stores. Our walls can always use some jazzing up.
- Making animal playthings. Our cats love anything “catnip”. Little bags or toys filled with catnip are a great hit.
- Doing crafts that can be sold at our fund raising events. We sell anything animal related to the public at the fairs and fundraisers we participate in. If you have a talent for making things this would be a great way to help our animals. Christmas ornaments or even potholders with an animal print would make nice gifts for us to sell.
WE HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON!!